The Tooth Fairy Cometh



The Tooth Fairy finally came to our house this past weekend.  Not once but twice.
We had been waiting a long time, a very long time indeed.  The lose tooth had been wobbling, squeaking, squelching, turning, moving in any number of directions up to 90 degrees for months.
So long, in fact, that the new tooth was half way up behind it when finally, last Friday a gentle tug was all it took and out it popped into my delighted very almost six year olds beautiful and grubby little hand.
Months earlier, when the initial wobbling of the tooth began I fussed about and spoke to lots of other parents about what the going rate was for a milk tooth. 
The consensus was 2 euro per tooth was fair considering the current financial climate. 
So a shiny 2 euro coin was put aside in the inside pocket of my handbag for the occasion.
Luckily we got it right, as it turned out, our almost six year old had discussed in detail with her school friends what she would get and a 2 euro coin was the minimum.  Phew!
There was great excitement on Saturday morning when the tooth was gone and the coin was in its place.  Sadly, later in the day, that joy was replaced by despair when browsing in a shoe shop the almost six year old let rip with an almost mirror shattering scream that her tooth was gone.  I thought temporary amnesia had occurred but it turned out she was talking about a second tooth.
Where and when the second tooth had fallen out was a complete mystery.  She remembered nothing of it.
I felt bad for her but it took me back about 34 years ago when I went on a nature walk with the Brownies, yes I was a diligent little Bluebell in our local pack.  I had many badges, no recollection of what any of them were for now, but I wore them with pride.
Anyway we were on our nature walk and as usual my brain trailed off in some far off direction that my imagination took me while I absently fiddled with a loose tooth hanging off my gums.  All of a sudden it popped out and I got such a shock I swallowed it.
I was so upset because I was convinced the tooth fairy wouldn’t visit me if I couldn’t put my tooth under my pillow; I can remember it as clearly now as the day it happened.
I sulked home and told my tale of woe to my family.   I was truly devastated despite being comforted and cajoled by my parents that it would all work out.
The next morning, my father called me into the bathroom where there right beside the toilet was my earnings from the tooth fairy. 
For at least four years I completely believed that the poor tooth fairy had to sift through my poo to find that tooth.
On the Brightside we did a Google search, (back to nowadays) and discovered that the Tooth Fairy uses magic to find lost teeth, so she would know where to look.  We left her a note just in case and first thing Sunday morning heard the squeals of delight from the almost six year olds bedroom.  She’s up 4 euro already.  If this keeps up, I’ll be asking her for a loan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Perfect Gal

Hot Cross Mum

Diary of a 6 Year Olds Birthday Party